820 - Solomon Asks for Wisdom

Solomon Asks for Wisdom


Solomon made an alliance, with Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, and married one of his daughters. 


He brought her, to live in the City of David, until he could finish building his palace… and the Temple of the Lord …and the wall, around the city. 


At that time, the people of Israel …sacrificed their offerings, at local places of worship, …for a temple, honoring the name of the Lord, had not yet been built. 


However, the tabernacle with the ark of the Lord was always there. So, no building should have been necessary… I’ve never understood this need for a building that David instilled in Solomon…


Solomon loved the Lord …and followed all the decrees of his father, David, …except that Solomon, too, offered sacrifices and burned incense, at the local places of worship. 


The most important, of these places, of worship, was at Gibeon, …so the king went there, and sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings. 


That night, the Lord appeared to Solomon, in a dream, and God said, …


“What do you want? 

Ask, and I will give it to you!” 


Solomon replied, 

“You showed great and faithful love, to Your servant, my father, David, because he was honest …and true …and faithful, to You. 


And You have continued to show this great and faithful love, to him, today by giving him a son, to sit on his throne. 


“Now, O Lord, my God, You have made me king, instead of my father, David, …but I am like a little child, who doesn’t know his way around. 


And here I am, in the midst, of Your own chosen people, a nation so great and numerous… that they cannot be counted! 


Give me an understanding heart, so that I can govern Your people, well …and know the difference, between right and wrong. 


For who, by himself, is able to govern this great people of Yours?” 


The Lord was pleased, that Solomon had asked for wisdom. 


So, God replied, 


“Because you have asked for wisdom, in governing My people, with justice …and have not asked, for a long life …or wealth …or the death of your enemies— I will give you, what you asked for! 


I will give you a wise and understanding heart, such as no one else has had or ever will have! 


And I will also give you what you did not ask for—riches and fame! 


No other king, in all the world, will be compared to you, for the rest of your life! 


And if you follow Me …and obey My decrees and My commands, as your father, David, did, …I will give you a long life.” 


Then, Solomon woke up …and realized it had been a dream. 


He returned, to Jerusalem, and stood before the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant, where he sacrificed burnt offerings …and peace offerings. 


Then he invited all his officials, to a great banquet. 


1 Kings 3:1–15 (NLT)


Praise be to God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1394 - Isaiah 16

​Tongues and Prophecy

1472 - Jeremiah 5 part 2