852 - Elijah is Fed by Ravens and meets the Widow

Elijah is Fed by Ravens and meets the Widow 


Now Elijah, the prophet of God, who was from Tishbe, in Gilead, told King Ahab, 


“As surely as the Lord, the God of Israel, lives—the God, whom I serve …there will be no dew or rain, during the next few years, until I give the word!” 


Then, the Lord said to Elijah, 


“Go to the east, and hide, by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River. 


Drink from the brook… and eat what the ravens bring you, for I have commanded them, to bring you food.” 


So, Elijah did as the Lord told him …and camped beside Kerith Brook, east of the Jordan. 


The ravens brought him bread and meat, each morning and evening, and he drank from the brook. 


But, after a while, the brook dried up, for there was no rainfall, anywhere in the land. 


Then the Lord said to Elijah, 


“Go and live, in the village, of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. 


I have instructed a widow, there, to feed you.” 


So, he went to Zarephath. 


As he arrived, at the gates of the village, he saw a widow, gathering sticks, and he asked her, 


“Would you please bring me a little water, in a cup?” 


As she was going to get it, he called to her, 


“Bring me a bite of bread, too.” 


But she said, 


“I swear, by the Lord, your God, that I don’t have a single piece of bread, in the house. 


And I have only a handful, of flour left in the jar, and a little cooking oil, in the bottom of the jug. 


I was just gathering a few sticks, to cook this last meal, and then my son and I will die.” 


But, Elijah said to her, 


“Don’t be afraid! 


Go ahead, and do just what you’ve said, but make a little bread, for me, first. 


Then, use what’s left, to prepare a meal, for yourself and your son. 


For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: 


There will always be flour and olive oil, left in your containers, until the time, when the Lord sends rain …and the crops grow again!” 


So, she did as Elijah said, and she and Elijah …and her family, continued to eat, for many days. 


There was always enough flour and olive oil, left in the containers, just as the Lord had promised, through Elijah. 


1 Kings 17:1–16 (NLT)


Praise be to God!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1446 - Isaiah 54

1394 - Isaiah 16

1442 - Isaiah 51 part 1