1037 - Sennacherib Threatens Jerusalem

Sennacherib Threatens Jerusalem


While King Sennacherib, of Assyria, was still besieging the town of Lachish, he sent his officers to Jerusalem, with this message, for Hezekiah and all the people in the city: 


“This is what King Sennacherib, of Assyria, says: 


What are you trusting in, that makes you think you can survive, my siege of Jerusalem? 


Hezekiah has said to you, 


‘The Lord our God will rescue us, from the king of Assyria.’ 


Surely Hezekiah is misleading you, sentencing you to death, by famine and thirst! 


Don’t you realize, that Hezekiah is the very person, who destroyed all the Lord’s shrines and altars? 


He commanded Judah and Jerusalem, to worship only, at the altar, at the Temple, and to offer sacrifices, on it, alone. 


“Surely, you must realize, what I and the other kings of Assyria, before me, have done to all the people of the earth! 


Were any of the gods, of those nations, able to rescue their people, from mypower? 


Which of their gods… was able to rescue its people, from the destructive power, of my predecessors? 


What makes you think, that your God …can rescue you, from me


Don’t let Hezekiah deceive you! 


Don’t let him fool you like this! 


I say it again—no god, of any nation or kingdom, has ever yet been able to rescue, his people, from me …or my ancestors. 


How much less will your God rescue you from my power!” 


2 Chronicles 32:9–15 (NLT)


Praise be to God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moses Chooses Seventy Leaders

1088 - A History of the Priests and Levites

1046 - Israel Celebrates Passover