1067 - Nehemiah Goes to Jerusalem

Nehemiah Goes to Jerusalem


Early in the spring, following Nehemiah’s brother’s news, about the poor state of Jerusalem, …in the month of Nisan, during the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes’ reign, Nehemiah was serving the king his wine. 


He had never before appeared sad, in the king’s presence. 


So the king asked Nehemiah, 


“Why are you looking so sad? 


You don’t look sick to me. 


You must be deeply troubled.”


Then Nehemiah was terrified, but he replied, 


“Long live the king! 


How can I not be sad? 


For the city, where my ancestors are buried, is in ruins, and the gates have been destroyed, by fire.”


The king asked, “Well, how can I help you?”


With a prayer, to the God, of heaven, Nehemiah replied, 


“If it please the king, and if you are pleased with me, your servant, send me to Judah, to rebuild the city, where my ancestors are buried.”


The king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked, 


“How long will you be gone? 


When will you return?” 


After I told him how long I would be gone, the king agreed to my request.


I also said to the king, 


“If it please the king, let me have letters, addressed to the governors, of the province, west of the Euphrates River, instructing them, to let me travel safely, through their territories, on my way to Judah. 


And please give me a letter, addressed to Asaph, the manager of the king’s forest, instructing him to give me timber. 


I will need it, to make beams, for the gates, of the Temple fortress, for the city walls, and for a house for myself.” 


And the king granted these requests, because the gracious hand of God was on me.


When I came to the governors, of the province west, of the Euphrates River, I delivered the king’s letters, to them. 


The king, I should add, had sent along army officers and horsemen, to protect me. 


But, when Sanballat, the Horonite, and Tobiah, the Ammonite official, heard of my arrival, they were very displeased, that someone had come to help the people, of Israel.


Holy Bible: 

New Living Translation

Tyndale House Publishers. 2015. 


Nehemiah 2:1-10


Praise be to God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moses Chooses Seventy Leaders

1088 - A History of the Priests and Levites

1046 - Israel Celebrates Passover